Meet the Artist
Sensei Chikako, known by her artist name Kasho, was born into a family of calligraphers. She started training early and developed her own style that is delicate, bold and playful. She spent a couple of years in Michigan teaching calligraphy and currently teaches calligraphy to students in various studios across Kyoto. Her home studio is located in western part of Kyoto, close to mountains and thick Arashiyama Bamboo Groves. A bit shy, her dimpled warm smile can open a lot of hearts.
The VAWAA experience includes
- Understanding history of kanji characters and how it ties into the Japanese culture.
- Learning about different calligraphy tools, brushes and inks.
- Maintaining body posture.
- Learning different brush techniques and line movements.
- Practicing calligraphy with Chikako’s students in different studios.
- Visiting calligraphy exhibition.
- Trying calligraphy performance art depending on skill level.
- Materials and your hand drawn calligraphy artworks.