Meet the Artist
Mauricio is an award winning woodturner, currently in his third decade of turning and specializing in hand thread chasing. He likes making products that people use and touch – including parts for musical instruments, restoring antique furniture, chess sets, wooden bowls, boxes and artistic pieces. An environmentalist and vegan, his studio has 400 kinds of locally sourced wood and he doesn’t use any animal derivatives like beeswax in his process. He is a former pro skateboarder, recently finished restoring his Mark II Escort, built his own fire-oven, grafts & grows rare fruit trees in his one-of-a-kind backyard, and enjoys making chutneys with guavas, ginger, jicama, pepper, vinegar and almonds. A vacation doesn't get any better than this!
The VAWAA experience includes
- Morphology of wood and how it grows.
- History of lathe, understanding different tools and their purpose.
- Getting wood from a log.
- Working with woods like ash, privet, walnut, cape lilac and natives like guyuvira quebracho.
- Basic tool techniques like sharpening.
- Practicing different turning (lathe) techniques by making products.
- Those with prior experience can work on hand thread chasing, bowls, boxes and hollow forms.
- Materials & tools.
This experience is available for a longer duration. Please ask when you send your booking request.