Meet the Artist
Sally is a ceramist and mixed media installation artist whose work brings a contemporary activation to the traditional Still Life genre. Her ceramics are heavily influenced by her interest in ecology and the natural world. Since moving from her native Australia to Paris, Sally has been working with porcelain paper clay, a very unique and versatile material with distinct qualities and properties. She loves its whiteness and translucence, which allow for a wide range of experimentation with texturing, layering and painting on the surface. Look no further for an insider’s guide to the contemporary art scene in Paris—Sally has her finger on every pulse!
The VAWAA experience includes
- Discovering unique properties of porcelain paper clays, which enables very fine (thin) objects to be produced.
- Learning traditional and experimental hand-building techniques.
- Crafting porcelain objects of your choice including plates, bowls, lighting forms, jewelry and sculpture.
- Applying decorating techniques through texture, printing, and hand-painting.
- Mixing ceramic colorants using various mediums.
- Glazing and firing.
- Materials, access to tools, glazing service and firing are included in the fee.
- Your handmade porcelain ceramic objects.
The work must be fired twice, before and after glazing. This process takes an additional week. Artworks can be picked up or delivered after firing for an additional delivery/ postage fee. You can also extend the duration and add accommodation at Sally's house for an additional fee. Ask when you send a booking request.